Thursday 8 March 2018

She is inspirational because...

At Broadford we believe in celebrating inspirational people and inspirational actions daily, but today is a fantastic opportunity to think about women who are positive role models and inspire others.

Here are just a snippet of women suggested by the pupils throughout the school.  There is a clear theme that runs throughout: resilience and determination for themselves and others.

Margaret McMillan - having seen what little or no education small children received, she drove for changes to be made that would improve the health of young children.  She wrote several books on nursery education and developed a play-centred approach which is why we have the nurseries we have today.
Nursery

Grandmas, grans and nans -'Whenever I have to go to hospital because I am not very well, my nan is always there. If I have to stay the night, she sleeps beside me and makes me feel very comfortable.' Emily. Sequoia class all agree that such love and dedication to a family member is very inspirational and should be recognised. They also shared some wonderful stories about women in their families who treat them with the same love and kindness as Emily’s nan does.
Sequoia

Dr Ameyo Stella Adadevoh - We looked at how she helped stop a patient with Ebola leaving a hospital in Nigeria even when he tried to threaten her. Because of this she helped contain the disease.
Cedar

Mia Hamm - Because she has scored more international goals in her career than any other player, male or female, in the history of U.S. soccer. She is inspiring more women to get into sport.
Rowan

Emmeline Pankhurst -  We think she is a positive role model for everyone. She helped women win the right to vote.

Aunties - 'My aunt is funny, positive, supportive, generous and VERY intelligent. She supports me and cares for me when I am upset. She always make me laugh and she is hilarious. My aunt is my role model because I look up to her for advice.' Gracee May. Lots of pupils thought that aunties are great role models.
Pine

Rosa Parks - Because she was brave enough to stand up for her own rights and other people’s rights although she lived in an unfair society where she was not valued. She inspired thousands of people to fight against injustice
Redwood

Mums - 'My mum always is always there for me when I need her the most. She is kind, intelligent and I couldn’t live without her. Thank you Mum,' Shane Kirk. We all agreed that mums and female family figures play an important role in our lives.
Larch

Lady Gaga - Because she is brilliant at singing and dancing. She spends hours and hours rehearsing and practising because she wants to be the best at what she does.
Mulberry

Mums, aunties and sisters - They do so much for us every single day.
Cherry

Brooke's mum - 'My mum is a firefighter and is inspirational to me because not only is she a fantastic mum but she also puts her own life at risk every day at work in order to help and save others. When I get older, I want to be just like her!' The whole class agreed that fire fighters are really brave people who want to make a difference.
Willow

No comments:

Post a Comment