Monday 23 March 2015

Olympic Cycling - Group 2

At Broadford we believe in giving the children a wide range of opportunities to succeed. Our cycle program has been particularly popular over the last 18 months. First the children pass their Bikeability Level 1 & Level 2, which gives them experience of developing their control skills before going onto the road.

The next step is to get them into our Cycle Club, run monthly with our coach Phil. This allows them the chance to consolidate their skills on roads, trails and in public parks.

Finally we look to give them WOW experiences with trips to the Redbridge Cycle Centre and the Olympic Park.

Our pupils certainly learnt alot today...

I didn't realise how much speed you can generate just through changing your body position. If you pedal too much on the trails you can come unstuck. I controlled my pace by leaning forward to accelerate down slopes and feathering my breaks to slow down.
Nathan Owsley

At first I thought the mountain bikes would be easy - I've had one for a long time. But I've never done the trails before and the surface and constant bumps made it very challenging. I had to really concentrate on where I was going. If you took your eye off the track, you fell off your bike!
Joe Bowden

It was really important to listen carefully to Andy - our coach - and watch how he controlled his bike. At first some of us rushed in, but we quickly fell off. Once we had mastered the key skills of level pedals and finger position we really improved
Drew Burkett

We hope to take the children back there in the Summer term to further develop their skills!












No comments:

Post a Comment